Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Friday, September 3, 2010

Reuse Conex- got accepted to show Tire Art in ReArt Exhibition!

OK,
  HERE is one for the blog.
I have recently been accepted, as 1 of 10 Reclaimed Materials Artists from the Southeast, to show my tire art work at the ReArt Exhibition, at Reuse Conex.

What is Reuse Conex? Well it its being billed by its host, the Reuse Alliance, as the first national Reuse conference and expo of reuse!

The event is being put on by the Reuse Alliance, a non profit devoted to promoting the concept and practice of  Reuse, by supporting the Reuse sector, an important but often overlooked facet of the sprouting Green Economy.

You can check it out at: http://reuseconex.org/

So just what is Reuse? Well,
 Renovating an old house or building instead of tearing it down and building a new one, restoring an old car or bicycle, or making a collage out of old magazines, even buying a tshirt at the thrift store, are all examples of Reuse.
This is distinguished from recycling which would, say, melt the car down to make another car. According to Reuse proponets such as the Reuse Alliance, recycling is a more energy intensive (though they have perhaps never tried to flip a tire inside out!... but still, I do see their point). Reuse presents it own host of challenges, which today's artsist / designer quickly warms too.

So basically, the conference will be a chance for businesses like The Scrap Exchange, the Habitat ReStore, and a rainbow of other businesses from across the US, to share our work, learn from each other and possibly forge partnerships for collaborations. Wow, to be honest, I really don't know just what I'll find!...

I do know that I will get  to set up my booth there at the event, to tell people about the work I do with tires in my business, Reptire Designs. Obviously, this is an awesome oppurtunity for an emerging artist like myself. Perhaps I can also sell some of my art there, but to be honest, this is not as high of a priority for this event, as just getting my name out there. I have also offered the organizers of the event the use of some of my larger sculptures for around the event grounds, to help create a memorable atmosphere there at the Raleigh Hilton. Hopefully, they will take me up on them!

Not that the event is lacking in this department. There will also be movies, and a ReFashion show, which I am particularly looking forward to checking out- An artist/designer idol of mine, Atom Cianfarani, who created her own fabric from innertube rubber, and works with another designer to create fashion that is out of this world, seems connected with the Reuse Alliance. I am wondering if I will get to meet her at the event....

I currently have alittle more than month to get ready. Aside from building a giant tire sculpture, refining my booth, and creating smaller sculptures to sell, I am working like mad to pull together a website, (among other promotional materials) which will be a big step for me. This event will be getting national exposure, and thanks to the internet, quite probably international exposure as well. So, to be frank, I have got to be ready to announce my presence to the world.
Here we go!

to learn more about the event, you can check out the web page at www.reuseconex.org

You can learn about the Reuse Alliance at www.reusealliance.org

And also, you can learn about the keynote speaker, Garth Johnson, at his fascinating blog site: Extreme Craft. He is the Author of a newly published book called "1,000 Ideas for Creative Reuse", and a very sharp tack at that.
Should be interesting...