Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Interlude: Refinding Momentum, Inspiration and Salvation at The Scrap Exchange


(continued from last post, please see ENO 2012, Wednesday July 4th)
  "under the oppressive heat of the days, the fatigue of the weeks of preperation, and the intertia and distractions of being away from my studio, I quickly found my focus dissipating, and my effort loosing some momentum…


I knew I had to make a break, so, after a lost day, that I don’t really even remember,  I staggered out and over to visit my friends at the Scrap Exchange, hoping for some stuffing for my dragon’s eye’s, and maybe a little inspiration…."



As I staggered in, from the blinding, scorched Sahara of the parking lot, through the front doors, into the cool cavernous expanse of the Scrap Exchange, I found my eyes struggling to adjust to such a change in light and temperature, and psychedelic patterns flashed before my eyes. I heard a distant soothing feminine voice, welcoming me to the Scrap Exchange, and saw a menagerie of weird things, cobbled together from used parts.
Yet I pushed past all of these,  and staggered deeper into this cavern’s cool depths, down towering corridors, lined with god knows what, whistful faces peering out from unknamed tombs. I hurried past these, determined to find a blue Styrofoam noodle, like the one I’d found before…Actually, I’d long since given up on the noodle, and I was looking for Stuffing, any that could be found, to hold my dear mirrors in place. I briefly considered the prospect of stuffing them with a tangle of computer cords, and panic started to return, but then, I beheld, a giant towering TROUGH of holy stuffing, a giant pale green chalic, issuing forth billows of white fluffy stuff.
Into this chalice I dove, burying my head, my neck and shoulders, until finally only my ankles and feet stuck out. I didn’t care if they never found me, I was happy to be there, immersed, stuffed into my stuffing as it were. I didn't care.
OK, so that didn’t really happen. But I did feel kind of a gratified feeling to find this stuff/ing.

         As I marched back to the check out counter, I passed a glass doorway to one of the turqouise chambers that had previously been empty there. This was to be the new Scrap Exchange Design Center. And through this glass, I beheld a chrystaline workspace, abuzz with several angelic women that I know, sitting around tables busily working on stuff. One of these closest to the door was the magical Reclaimed Materials Artist Bryant Holsenbeck. Hmmm, so fair and gay all of these workers seemed inside of this aquarium of green, and so curious was I what Bryant was up too, that I popped my head, to inquire. She explained that she, and her assistant Iris, were making a flock of birds to soar from the vaulted ceilings of the Scrap Exchange. She just wanted, she explained, to give the place a little bit of her Bryant ‘bling’!

            Well, Bryant being the deft enlister of destitute resources, both (inanimate and human) that she is…, I soon found myelf perched at the top of a very tall ladder, hanging Bryant’s mobile from a grey beam, and sending her flock, (and this drab celing) aflight! I didn’t at all mind being used in this way. It was great to be a hand in this good production, and furthermore, I had been receiving so much help from my Mother the past couple days with plantings and signage, that it felt good to make myself useful to another Artist’s project.

In fact, once we had Bryant squared away, I found myself in a somewhat different mindframe…(such it seems is the magic of Bryant) And an idea struck me upside the head. I inquired, at the front desk. "could I perchance borrow this room for a crafts project?"
And the answer, my friends, as a resounding "YES!!!"
And so it was that I signed in, and then took a shopping cart for a little spin around the marbled concrete floors of the Scrap Exchange. You see, on my epic journey for stuffing, I had come upon some bulging, bursting bags of burlap. And some of these I piled into my cart, as well as few other morsels and tendrils..

Then, like a ravenous cook fresh from the hen house, I entered the ‘kitchen’, and began laying these out on the table for the operation that was to ensue...

Knowing that my time was limited, and the ticker was ticking, I was orderly and systematic in my procedures.

I first finished my work of the day, and completed my dragon’s eyes, stuffing them full to the brim, giving them a nice full feel. Once I had these finished and polished up, I set them aside, and moved on to the next operation.
This project was to create some badly needed paneling for my booth, to both disguise my little check-out station, and create a backdrop for my tire sculptures. As I had noted (during a photoshoot) that the texture and earthy tones of burlap nicely accent the smooth and rugged black rubber of the tires, I though that this burlap would make an excellent backdrop.

I had some carboard squares already cut to size, that I had brought.


What I had not brought, and very much needed for this operation, was a hot glue gun.
And this tool, I can report, was provided in ABUNDANCE by the Design Center.
I could have wallpapered a whole house with all of that hot glue.

One thing that was really nice about working there, on site of the scrap exchange, was that all of my materials were readily available there. When I needed to find another scrap of burlap, say, with a certain print or texture on it, all I had to do was dash out the door, to the mines of scrap waiting outside.
Should I have needed a wire, to fasten something with, it could readily be found, in its own special spot. A categorized bounty; your very own gem mine; a supply closet the size of a football stadium, what more could you ask for?



One other thing that I noticed right when I ducked back into the room, was that the Design Center is mercifully, gourgeously temperature controlled. And as someone who has been swimming through their own sweat in my studio, scraps of different projects sticking to me as I work, this cool, clean, fresh air provided a very refreshing space for me to work in indeed. A complimentary pitcher of cold water (or coffee in winter) further enhanced this refreshingly comfortable feeling.

Which brings me to one final aspect of the Design Center which I really enjoyed.
And that is that it was an empty and neutral space, free of the clutter of my own personal baggage, half finished projects etc, that haunt such spaces as my studio, or the house I grew up in. None of that was here.
Just an empty work table, some handy tools, a sturdy chair. This was HEAVEN!

And this was salvation.
That afternoon, I had staggered though the doors of the Scrap Exchange a somewhat broken man. Feelings of failure hung about my ankles like shackles.
Yet as I walked back out of that door, the returned bounce in my step spoke volumes of my sense of renewal, and accomplishment. I returned to the battle fields, with renewed vigor, and sense of purpose.

Looking back, I realize that that day, perhaps I was like some kind of lost Crusader, stumbling through the jungle, dizzy with dysentery, coming abruptly upon a grotto in the wood- the Scrap Exchange, my shrine, my church, my salvation.