Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reptire Rolls into State Capital for 2011 NC ARTISTS EXHIBITION


On a dreary Sunday, March 6th, (after a late night of drawing caricatures at a Mardi Gras party, and I must admit, some customary debauchery) I got myself, a little more bleary eyed than I'd have liked,  over to Mahler Gallery of The Progress Energy Center for the Performing Arts, in our State Capital of Raleigh, NC.


I was there to attend the reception of the 2011 North Carolina Artists Exhibition, hosted every year, by the Raleigh Fine Arts Society. I had decided to submit a work of RepTire art, Leviathan, into the show, and the Juror, Peter Nisbet, Cheif Curator for the Ackland Museum of Art, in Chapel Hill, NC, had appearently discerned that it would make a good addition into the show!

Needless to say, this was a considerable honor for me and my RepTire Artwork to be included in this showing of some of our famously very artistic State's current 'Fine Artists'.

Here I will attempt  to sharing some photos, footage, and fixin'' from this memorable event!



When I arrived, I found myself shuttled in by finely dressed high society women who said "Oh you must be one of our artists" which I wasn't sure how to take. How did they know my socks were wet because my shoe soles had leaked in the rain water? Was it that obvious? I'm mostly kidding, 'poor me', I was actually pretty smug that they had picked me out.

So anyways, I got ushered to a table for my name tag, and then into a giant darkly lit performance hall. On the stage were three chairs, a giant screen, and up front, a grandiose floral arrangment. This was stage from which our Juror, Mr. Nisbet would be delivering his 'Lecture' about his choices for inclusion in the Exhibition.

This was exciting! I felt like a kid on a field trip to the planetarium!

'AF Shot' of a cosmic Chandelier in the 'Atrium' Entrance of the PECPA
So I sat myself down in a VERY comfortable cushioned seat, to take in the show!


First, we got a word from our hosts, the Raleigh Fine Arts Society, and I have to report that I was both a little shocked and somewhat pleasently suprised by what I had heard. You see, truth be known, I have to own up to a long held prejudice against the city of Raleigh. I think if it as a little bit shooshy, and extravagant, with out a whole lot really hearty value or true good taste. Kind of like really expensive high end raman noodles, compared to a good minestroni, which I would liken my native Durham too.

And to be honest, before meeting these people, I had sort of lumped the Raliegh Fine Arts Society in that catagory (though I was actually not familiar with this organization, prior to getting the RFQ fort the show). So I was quite intrigued when the Chair of this organization shared with us the audience, her apology to 3 of the Artists, whose work would soon be removed, on account of the Nudity shown in them!
  The Raleigh Fine Arts Society then CONDEMNED this "act of cencorship"! Right ON!

Finally, it was the turn of our Juror, to tell his story.

Mr. Nisbet is an English fellow, and it seems is freshly new to NC, coming from the Harvard Museum of Art. There he was "the Dailmler-Benz Curator of the Busch-Reisinger Museum (a branch it seems, where) he was was responsible for a collection of 39,000 works of central and northern European art ranging from the Middle Ages to the present and played a leading role in the reconceptualization and revitalization of the museum, leading to its relocation in 1991." (from the 'Meet Our Juror' section of the program).

So no doubt, having seen a whole heck of a lot of nudity in art, through out his ages, and The ages, no doubt, I'm sure Mr. Nisbet was a little bit amused and intrigued himself, to learn of this demand from the Progress Energy Center to remove a few paltry displays of flesh. (In fact Nancy Kenna, the Chair shared with me towards the end of the reception that Mr. Nisbet had taken it upon himself to go chew them out personally!!!)

What proceeded was a somewhat sad story of this Jurors somewhat harrowing plight, flash-lit by flourishes of wit. He spoke of long evenings spent with a record 550 submissions, trying to winnow out almost 9 out of every 10 of these, a task I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. To top it off, he also shared the tale of a dejected feeling Artist, who hadn't made the cut, guilt tripping him on his answering machine, telling him that his repeated rejections to these shows make him want to give up.
Mr Nisbet replied that such experiences made him want to give up too!

He notes in his Juror's Statement that "Towards the end of many hours, he is interested to note how he found the sculpture submissions to be the most extravagant, the paintings to be the tamest, the photographs to be the most elegant, and the mixed media works to be (appropriately) the most resistant to generalization."
 And his speech craftily reflected this.
 He began with the photographs, and had some really interesting things to say about some I thought, pretty tame work. One wonderful example was that of a photograph of a tourist gazing up the skirt of a giant statue of a woman.
Finding something far beyond the limited one liner scope of the photograph, he found in the photo, or rather, in his selection of the photo, a biting commentary on the gawking/spectacle nature of photography!!! Alright Man! I was starting to like this guy really quickly!

 Then he went through the paintings, and I have to admit, I was sort of feeling for him.
He made one observation that many of the pieces were simply pretty, but that they didn't venture beyond this prettiness (even some of the mixed media work). He asked, after all that Painting has been through in the last jarring century, turning its entire world upside down, over and over, can a painter really submit something as banal as a photorealistic scene?

Well, its not for me to say, but he was there, then, and he said it! (Like probably any artist who loves to draw, I actually do have a place in my heart for the devotion to place scenic paintings, particularly urban scenes).
Anyways, I was kinda feeling for this guy. I mean 500 tame paingings?..poor fellow.

However, it took me a while to catch on, but eventually, I realized what was going on. It seemed that this guy was no fool in making his presentation, and it seems he had saved his favorites for last (and I have to admit, I agreed with his tastes).

As we drew towards the end, some really fresh 2D art began to emerge on the screen before us.

And then, to kick off the sculpture, he pulled up an image of who else, but that big black lug of knotted, folded tire, Leviathan!
Wow!
(I video recorded what he said, and am going to ask his permission to share it here)
 This learned man had some very nice things to say about this sculpture!

"The sculpture that I start with is, I think, a rather fine piece of work that picks up on the history of 20th-Century Geometric Abstraction, and the Utopian notion of mathematical forms and mathematical formulae, one can       an ideal form of art, that somehow represents an ideal world, here translated into a very beautiful tire, that wraps around itself, in some emblem of eternity. But of course, as we know, tires will rot out at some point, and wear out. A great melding, I think, of Minimalist ideas, Abstraction, and modern materials. I like that piece a lot."

You know, aside from being flattered by his reaction to me piece, it was also nice to know that I had given this guy something to 'tickle his fancy' a little. I'm glad you liked in Peter, I was hoping that you would!


From the there we poured out into the adjoining Mahler Gallery (the auditorium we were in is where the NC Symphony regularly performs, among others!

For food, not the lox that I had been hoping to lap up!!!
Nope, just oreo cookies, with their asses dipped in chocolate (taking after our Lady James)
Now That's just what I would expect from the Raleigh Fine Arts Society- a little Guilding the Lily ;)
(Too bad Raleigh hadn't 'dipped it's ass in chocolate' before P-funk arrived, and George Clinton decreed once and for all "Raleigh ain't got not soul." He tried).

Folks I met:

I had the distinct pleasure to  run into one of my Favorite famiies of Durham folk over there in Rally, Linda Belans, an old teacher of mine at CFS!, her lovely daughter Lisa Sobsey, with whom I coincidantaly studied at the SF Art Institute! and her warmly savage husband, Scott Howell, who was showing his stirring Photograph in the show!



Missing from the that photo was Father Figure (to much of Durham, I am so sure!) Jim Lee, Bamboo Turtle Artist, Of Many Varied Talents, and Influences. I caught up with him eventually, and shared with him that there's a certain artwork of his that I am after.


After the reception, I headed out with a few choice accomplices, for a photographic expedition of the space. Here's some of what we came up with...




This is the original front of the Raleigh Memorial Auditorium. I can't remember how old it is, but appearently a couple 100 I think...it was once used as the governer's offices, or mansion of something, I guess kind of like the North Carolina White House, I don't know. Anyways, in an innovative architectual renovation, this original face to what is now a huge Auditorium, is now housed with in this giant glass Atrium.  The grand columns you see in the front of the building today, are actually a facade, a relpica of the original colomns, now housed with in. Now thats a front porch!



The Balistrade



Vamping in Action!