Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

SPIRITUAL VISIONS EXHIBITION: 3rd and Final Pilgrimage to VA for SV.

I recently made my final trek up to Hermitage Museum & Gardens, in Norfolk, to retrieve my 3 'pilgrims' from the Spiritual Visions Exhibition.

I had planned to wait a bit, and plan a meeting with the staff a month or so down the line.
But with Leviathan called to duty, it looked like I had to hasten my plans for my journey.
So on a Friday afternoon, I set sail, whipped my way up and across to Norfolk, with only dwindling light at my heals.

My plan B camp site which eventually became my plan A




Night drawing down its shade
"Go quick and seek a place to lay your head, for when your neck will soon be weary of carrying it."

So, I scouted out a plan B camping spot, and then set out for downtown, hoping I might find myself a plan A, a risky venture.

So I docked myself in front of what (besides Hermitage to a certain extent) has become the closest I have to home base in Norfolk. Also, the closest I have found to 'Funky' in Norfolk, no doubt, it serves this same function to other kindered souls here. 

My favorite building block in Norfolk, shown here in the light of day
A lovely passage, where art meets life
Home of Yorgo's Bagelry
and this wooden furniture refinishing shop with kniving marketing approach.





Here found I myself upstairs at the Belmont, seated at a bar with 3 young lasses, who said:

"Hold on a second,  let me get this straight. You're an artist, and you're here in Norfolk alone, and you're here drinking at the Belmont for the first time, and next you're about to go salsa dancing at the Mambo Room?"

To which the best I could reply was:
"yup"
"cheers"
and
"ya'll comin'?"


For off I had to boogie, to The Boogie, at the


where there I proceeded to dance the night off, and my ass away (making nefarious passes at various lasses, of all manner of shapes and sizes).

Sleep that night was seldom. I am remiss to report that I wound up camping in the plan B of my plan B, not at all where I had hoped to B. But, in the morning, I was able to open my eyes and C, as you can here C.

And glad was I, for I soon found myself back up and at 'em, eating breakfast at a dear Diner named Doumar's.


The Rapture: The Ecstatic Tilework Of The Men's Bathroom Floor
 of Doumar's BarBQ, in Norfolk, VA



Arabesque

There, while drinking coffee and chewing an egg sandwich, I was blessed to witness the owner, Mr. Doumar himself, come in, put down his coat, and pick up his tools, setting up the WORLD'S FIRST ICECREAM CONE MAKER.
Yes, that's right, Mr. Doumar's Uncle Doumar, I believe, was the INVENTOR OF THE ICE CREAM CONE!!!

What a privalage to watch a pioneer craftsman laying out his station in the morning light, 
for a Cameo of the Cone!

I promised Mr. Doumar a painting, hold me to it, will ya?



Then, I was off to my twin appointments at Hermitage Museum & Gardens, to
A) Pick up our trio of Pilgrams, from the Spiritual Visions Exhibition
Leviathan, waiting on his stoop, to be returned home to NC,
and delivered the 2011 NC Artists Exhibition
2) To meet with Hermitage Museums's Public Programs Director Melissa Ball, and Photographer Ed Pollard, to discuss our plans the the upcoming Reclamation Exhibition!!!......

I had a really good time hanging out with these two, and hashing out ideas, and spent a very both relaxing and energizing day afterwards at Hermitage, sketching a few choice artworks from their permanent collection.

Also was able to track down Truly, whom I am hoping to collaborate on a limited edition product line for Hermitage. Its funny, I thought that I had missed her that weekend, she was off, so had pretty well given up. But I was able to convince the staff to let me go in and sketch the permanent collection (though I think that area was closed.
   As I crept down the darkened hall, to visit one quite powerful, very old piece...
who did I find but Truly, with pale skin, and eyes all lit up. My god, she scared the CRAP out of me. It was the first time in my life, I truly thought for a second I might be attacked by a vampire ; no joke!
 So anyways, Truly didn't drain my arteries and tuck me behind an old sofa, and we got to discuss business alittle, in those darkened halls.

Darkness was drawing down again, and so I had to split, hit the road, in hopes of getting back for my buddy, Joey Howell's awesome Galactic Art Opening (well worth it!).

Before I hit the road, I revisited a spot I had found the night before.

I stumbled upon this bizarre scene of a metal scrap yard, across the tracks, behind a fence behind a parking lot.

You can find alot of things when you are looking for a good place to sleep (besides, that is, a good place to sleep).