Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Reclamation Preparations Day 1


If you are an asiduouse reader of this blahg, you might recall that,  in November of 2010, when I dropped of my 3 ‘pilgrims’ at the Hermitage Museum, in Norfolk VA, for the Spiritual Visions Exhibition, Executive Director Melanie Mathews, and Public Programs Coordinator, Melissa Ball ushered me into a small, dark meeting room in the 'far reaches' of the museum, where they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse…

What they had in mind was a two man-exhibition.
And what they wanted to call it was “RECLAMATION”…

There were no lead filled hoses involved.

BUT, I thought they had a pretty place there, and I had really enjoyed working with Ms. Ball, and so I decided to make a go of it of my own free will.
I knew that I was going to have a busy year; that, in many ways, I needed to turn my attention to my home fires. And that is what I have done. However, I also knew that opportunities like this do not come along everyday..not only was this a Very unique place, in the bigger picture, I also saw this as an opportunity to take a step in an interesting new direction, that I’ve been eying of late..that of visition/Artist in Residence. This seemed like a perfect opportunity to dip my toes in the surf, and get my feet a little wet.

For the Hermitage’s part, I think they are trying to reach out to a younger audience with the Museum, and perhaps I can help them with this a little. All in all, they seem like excellent partners for us both the take this brave step forward, into new territory together with.

So after due Hemming and Hawing, I agreed, we signed a contract, agreeing that I would supply/ create a body of work for they show, and they even very kindly agreed/offered my a stipend, to help with related travel expenses.

That was about 10 months ago. In that time, I have made several trips to Hermitage, to sketch, plan, ferment, boil up an exhibition.
While this was fine and good, I learned something about creating for clients far and way. They are not in your peripheral vision, and a lot of other things are!

So finally, last month, I emailed Melissa, and asked her  if there was any way that I could and set myelf in front of my subject. She agreed.

So now, about 10 months later, about 1 month before the opening,  I’ve finally managed to tear myself away from my busy Siler City life, and have brought myself here to make it happen. Thanks to Hermitage’s generous offering of a space to work, I will be living and working ‘en situ’ (that means ‘on site’, in fancy artist language) and am hoping to give myself over 100% to the task.

To work, I will use a space that once was most recently the site of a summer camp (2 weeks ago). Before that, it was a photo studio (20 years ago), and before that, it was a cow barn (60 years ago?). 

To live while I work, I have borrowed an RV from parents.
I depotised it here about a week ago, stuffed to the gills with Tire Sculpture and materials, taking the 5am grey hound back to Durham.

I spent a long weekend of fretting over images of my folks RV being washed into the bay, and battared with god knows what bludgeons. They had declared a state of emergency, and mandatory evacuation.
"Red at night, Sailors Delight"....don't know about that
But last night, I drove my car up, and found the RV, having survived the wrath of Hurricane Irene, still intact, and quite sleepable.

This morning, I awoke to an eccentric Russian gardner, surveying the damage to the trees “Oh my babies!”, who promptly put me to work sorting nursery pots and picking up fallen branches. As this grounds crew had helped me to safeguard the RV, and I would no doubt have to call on their help in the near future, to install the exhibition, I was happy to help. Hermitage is a small Musuem, with a small tight staff, and I am happy to help them get back on their feet from this blow as much as I can.

However, they have aptly reminded me that my first priority is to get in the studio, and milk those tires! (used to be a cattle barn ironically enough!).

So, today, after a grounds cleanup crew/staff meeting, a morning of work and then a Pizza lunch, I was shown to my ‘quarters’.

The space will do fine. It has a stage, with some cubbies (for Summer camp), which will do very well to hold my various tools and supplies. It also has several tables which I have rearranged to maximum benefilt. It was really to set up shop! I think that I will really be able to make the space work for me.

I have to remind myself, that for all of us, in many ways this is an excercize. For me, it is great to see before me: This is it- This is what I need to create Tire Art. This is my ‘mobile response unit’.

And response is what I am here for. To respond, and to be responded to.