Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Reclamation Preperations Day 3


Hermitage Blog Day 3
This morning I met with Hermitage Museum’s Director, The Programs Coordinator, and the Assistant in my new borrowed work space. It was fun to host them there, around the work table up on the stage, surrounded by a horde of half baked tire shemes.

   The Hermitage staff are all understandably a little bit at their wits edge juggling the new challenges that Hurricane Irene has thrown at them (for instance, a flame broiled fuse box, and still no power, with several on- site wedding coming up this weekend!), so at this point, they are a bit punchy and delirious. While they are actually are holding together impressively well, maybe being around weird art gave them the chance to blow off a little steam. Needless to say, it was a charged and exciting meeting!

Melanie, the Director, liked many of my ideas, which was relief. She is also a professor of Art History, so she has a good sense of art, and where my tire art fits in. She also has a good sense of humor, and appreciates my own, which goes a long ways, I think.

Particularly relieved was I that she was willing to go along with my brand new proposal (as of yesterday), to create a mini-Parlor Diorama in the large ‘display case’ as you approach the gallery. My aim is to recreate some of the ambiance in the parlor downstairs (in the museum), but incorporating rubber tires into many of the furnishings.
There was a suggestion of making a sort of portal/window into this ‘world’. While I think this could diminish its impact on approaching it, it could be interesting…

I made the mistake of showing her a sketch for one of my more ambitious proposals- She loved it…This is a proposal to recreate one of 3 ornate friezes carved into a wall panel in the downstairs area, incedentaly right in the area where they would like me to display some sculptures. When I had stopped by earlier this year, I was taken by the intensity of these designs, made a sketch of two of them, and thought to recreate one as a large (4’ x 8’) shadowbox, of rubber…

This would be new ground for me, and I am really not Sure that I could pull it off, in this time frame. To make it more complicated, and proportionally more awesome, Melanie made the brilliant suggestion to use Plexiglass instead of wood, adding a an element of luminosity, to what already is a very Gothic design….(It would be shown infront of a large window, with the sunset lit bay behind it…) This could be incredible….I suggested that we look at creating it at a later date, after the show…

Towards the end of the meeting,  Jolina, the Grounds Keeper stopped by, which was great timing. I showed her my treadknot planters, which she liked, and she ordered 4 for her plant sale, (which will take place the weekend of our opening)!

Jolina was also excited about the tire screen, or curtain, which I proposed to place in the far edge of the garden, looking out on the bay, so that you could see the bay and the sunset through it. She recommended a few cedar trees, which look like they should do the trick nicely.

A few pieces didn’t make the cut, and they perhaps deserve a requiem.
One was the “String of Pearls”. This would have been the debut of the Great Balls of Tire Series, and a glorious debut it would have been. It would have run above a run of 14  millstones, leading to an arch which overlooks the water. Above each millstone, would have dangled a different Tire Sphere.
While I mourn this loss in some ways, I am not sure that the Great Balls of Tire series is yet ready to meet the world. There were ready to be made, but their sharing with the world can wait.

Also lost on the chopping block, was a trinity of a Silk worm, a caccoon, and a butterfly, to hang below and around a beautiful old magnolia tree, that can only be described as Grand and Matriarchal. This is lamentable, because sculptor Janice Rieves had helped me to create a mock up of the caccoon, and it was really off to a great start. She even did a special ‘Tea-stain’ to the long john fabric, to give it an antique look, which was very effective. The butterfly also had the potential to be quite spectacular. Oh well, their days will come…

Though I was sad to see both of these projects go, at the same time, I really have my work cut out for me. So let this be a good lesson in cutting your losses, and moving forward to "strengthen the things that remain"….(to quote Bob Dylan).