Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Friday, September 3, 2010

Classroom Visit to Jill's Class at the Durham Central Park School!

A few weeks ago, I got an email from Jill, a teacher at Durham Central Park School. She had been refered by the Art Teacher (Extraordinaire) over there, Lucia Marcus, an old friend, (and the owner of the only treadknot pull chain in existance, which she commissioned for her ceiling fan several years ago.)
Jill was interested in having me visit her class to talk about my artwork, as she is leading her class in a project exploring the concept of ReUse!

So we began to plot....

We decided I would bring Tyrius the aformentioned Tire Worm, (who my faithful assistant, Alex, and others, and I had crafted for Paper Hand Puppets' I AM AN INSECT in 08). He was a hit at my first classroom visit, and seemed like if nothing else was, that at least he would be memorable...

To deliver this big baby,  I had hoped to borrow Vito's festive, spray-paint-spotted 'New Mexican Cheetah' station wagon, but alas, this long distance runner had since sprinted off into the sunset, with a new owner, only a few weeks before (would like to meet the guy!..).
So Dane was willing to very kindly let me borrow his station wagon again for this delivery task (see Durham ArtWalk).
I imagined pulling up in front of the school, and cracking the hatch open, and cramped Tyrius sproinging, unfurling into space like a jack in the box.

I want to dress up the visit a bit. I wanted to 'bring the music'. So I also wore my snappy innertube suspenders, a choice striped shirt, and several choice belts. I also wore my found-object spring gasket ring, and my big hulking found sea shell ring. Though this one unfortunately got left in the car at the last second, it did give me a good thought to talk about reuse in nature... Also while I was getting dressed it occured to me that almost everything I wear (and maybe own) is reused! This was kind of an epiphany. Seemed like a good point to bring up, that just wearing hand me downs is a kind of reuse. Its amazing the stuff you'll come up with while you are stuggling to get your pants on, and out the door!

On thursday August 26, at 1:55 pm, I  pulled up in a green Station wagon in front of school. I had decided to wait, and save Tyrius for a treat at end of my presentation, but wanted him to be waiting in place, crouching, as best a giant grub can crouch...(sorry big guy).
So instead, I hauled in several loads of stuff- a few different bodies of work, and at 2:00 pm gave a hello...
And we were off!
Lightening Strikes: 'Taking a 'quiet' hand'.
 Man, I love a well-functioning classroom-
 interested, yet behaved. This is the stuff.

We talked about Reuse, and the distinction between Reuse and Recycling. As an example,  I brought up two critters: the earth worm, who you could say recycles, or BREAKS DOWN, plant material for use in new plants; versus the hermit crab, who ReUses a mullusks shell for a home ('adaptive reuse' actually!).
We had an extended conversation about finding creatures on the beach, which carried on just a hair too long. I missed a good oppurtunity to talk about found object art (where was my magic ring when I need it?!)

I also  talked about how I came to work with tires, about the metaphors involved in art-making, such as the tires and reptiles in my art, who both crawl across the ground, and their bumpy skin.


I quickly found it worked best to introduce a body of work, and then to  pass it around, and let them explore it in their tactile, interactive way; and then collect it again, and talk about the next series. Otherwise they were understandably too distracted to listen. This worked much better.


Finally, at the very end, we went outside, and I brought out big Tyrius.

After they were done, we said our goodbyes, and Lucia and I decided to let him lie around outside for a while after school, in their lovely courtyard, sunning himself, and signing autographs, benevolently tolerating all kinds of poking and prodding (he does like a good scratching).



It was really fun to visit with the class, even though I was burning up in my slacks, and I think my new Bell's Palsied eye was maybe kind of freaky for the kids (understandably- I really should have just explained it from the outset, will next time). Though it doesn't look that bad, the Bell's Palsy also made it difficult to speak clearly. So, to be honest, while it was fun for me to talk with the kids, and Jill was very appreciative, I wasn't really sure what kind of impression I had left on the kids...

Well, the next day, I happened to get a lucky treat. I happened to be down the street, at the Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, where I frequently do outreach events (I was just dropping off some old materials from my studio for their shop) As I was perusing the show at the Green Gallery, I heard some voices coming from the workshop room, next door. I took a peak inside, and who was seated in a circle around the tables but Mrs. Jill's same class from the day before! I was met with an excited, "It's TRAVIS!". Wow, if there ever was a sweet redemption. Ann later told me that when they first got there, they were all looking around, saying 'where's Travis?! Is Travis here?!"

 (maybe they think I'm some kind of benign Scrap goblin they keep chained at the Scrap Exchange, lurking among the barrels of odds and ends, waiting for people to drop off their scraps, which I scurry out to gather and horde, and devour, pausing occasionaly to leave some strange droppings in the corner..... OK, so not so far from the truth, actually!....)

Actually, I think maybe the reason that they were excited to see me, was that they had a list of questions that they had prepared for me, (as well as a seperate list for Ann, Director of the Scrap Exchange), which they hadn't gotten to ask me yesteday, due to time constraints, and my epic presentation.
So Ann was nice enough to invite me in, and join their discussion, and answer their questions.
They had some really good ones. Like "Why do you make Art out of tire scraps?" And I really enjoyed trying to answer them as best I could. THEN, I had a really cool treat- I got to hear Ann answer her questions, including a great one at the end "Why do you choose to work here?".
And you know, hearing this woman, who I know is an incredible artist and sculptor of many media in her own right, and certainly has the skills, savvy and experience to be captain of just about any ship she would like to be, hearing her answer this question about why she still works at the Scrap Exchange,  (enduring everything from endlessly leaking ceilings, to funding that is probably drying to a puddle on the floor), I must say, was very inspiring...

You can sense, the second you step through the door, that the Scrap Exchange is a very special place. But I never really knew, until Ann answered that question, about all of the many varied populations that the Scrap Exchange serves (children of all colors I knew, but parolees, the elderly, and infirm?, I had no idea.) I can't help but wonder, what effect does entering this environment have on someone who has been convicted and sentenced by the state to do community service? What about someone, tucked away at a nursing home? I can only imagine that the experience is somehow a life affirming one, and a healing one. I feel very greatful to have this Center of Creative Reuse in Durham (the town I grew up in) and know that I owe a lot to it, not just for occasional materials, work, business, and support, but also for a steady stream of inspiration.

I do hope that those curious kids in Jill's class got a whiff of this in their visit.

And thanks, Lucia, The Durham Central Park School, and teacher Jill and her class, for having me in your classroom! It was a pleasure for me to meet you all. And I hope we can do some more work together in the near future...
Teachers Lucia and Jill with Tyrius