Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Friday, September 3, 2010

...FESTIVAL FOR THE ENO, continued

OK, so I really need to get this post up, as there is alot happening that I need to catch up with!
But there is also alot worth mentioning about this festival So maybe I should spare you a blow by blow of a crafts festival.....
Ha, fat chance!

First, THE BOOTH: BUILDING OF BAMBOO BUTRESSES
Getting ready for this show, I put a hefty bit of work into the design and making of my booth, not onlfor the Festival for the Eno, but also for other festivals down the road.

I wanted something that was light, modular, and fitted the feel of my artwork.
I also wanted to be able to suspend works of art from the ceiling of my booth, and my canopy's cross struts just weren't made to bear much weight at all.

So for this job I chose two materials:
Bamboo, of plentiful supply, if you know where to look, and
Gridwall shelving, a set of which I had found on the roadside last year, and found more of at Bed Bath and Beyond, at a greatly discounted rate, as it was going out of production (a big thanks to Kevin, for being so reasonable working with me! a rare quality, these days, You Da Man!)!

I had an elaborate plan to make a much more sculptural tent of my own, and I hope I get to make this happen someday, but for the mean time, I quickly abandoned this fantasy, and chose instead to build onto the vertical support of the tent that I have (using an approach, which I think you could rightly call 'post and beam').

my tent, at lowered position
To to this tent structure, I lashed a grid of 8 10ft bamboo poles, notching them, 

to get them to nest together, and create an even plane from which I could hang sculptures.
 'the flying bamboo butresses'

For the lashings, I used but bicycle tire inner tubes, which are in plentiful supply around here.. they have worked out very well so far, though I am still refining my lashing technique, any volunteers?


Once I'd added the bamboo cross beams, I added the canopy for extra shade, and 'raised the roof', though I was blessed with a very old tree's shade already. 
tent frame standing with canopy and butresses
From the bamboo beams, I hung strip of grid wall panels, creating self standing corner columns, and between these, I strung vertical bands, filling in. This became the 'skin' of what quickly became known as 'the rat cage'.  
from the bamboo beams, I hung strips of grid-wall shelving.
For the floor plan, I had actually laid this thing out in a much more frontal, symetrical, pagoda style, with a front, sides and back,while designing it in my studio. Its was a little more temple like, and slightly forboding, a demeanor which I actually liked. However, when I saw my spot, it didn't take long to see that the space offered a different set of possibilities. So I opted for this corner arrangment, which I think allowed for a much easier, less intimidating flow though the space. Its funny, it was perhaps sort a psychological shift as well for me, one that  I am very glad that I made. (I am also glad that I made my booth so modular, though it is not perfectly so yet), 

Then I just placed my pedestals (I made a nice nesting set from some sauna tubes), 
Pedestals added to mix
add a little sculpture.....
and,
Voila!
home, sweet home.


NEIGHBORS
I was blessed to have some very good neighbors, kindest of all perhaps being Art and Colleen Heinrich, of Sweet Whispers, true to their name! Art's intricate metal work is amazing, incorporating chrystals and metaphysics that blew me away. He also has an amazing story as a craftsman. They were very kind and helpful through out the show. And to top it all off, Colleen has offered to help connect me with some giant airplane tires! (her brother is a mechanic for Boeing?)... Yowza!

Across the way, Max 'the leatherman' has been doing the festival for years, and was an awesome friend to me in this process, for whose guidance I am greatful. Aside from being a top notch guy, he is also a master craftsman; I have been a big fan of his artful, creatively designed, and well made leather work for many years.

And to my left was the one and only Lisa Perkle, up from GA, who I have to say is true to her name, as she is a woman who is constistantly perky, not in ANY kind of annoying sense at all, No quite to the contrary, she simply had a firmly positive way about her. To be frank, this Southern Lady, is tough as nails. Seems like I am meeting a new breed of woman out here on the road. As she pointed out, doing what she does, alone, show after show, you'd better be. Well my hat is off to you, Ms. Perkle. And thank you for the chicken sandwich!

I would like to share some pictures of my new friends, but you know, its really not cool to show an artist's work on the internet, with out their permission. It could actually have very serious consequences for their business. So out of respect for their labor, I am not posting these.

I didn't really get away from my booth a whole lot, but when I did, I found that I was in some pretty awesome and extraordinary company there at the Eno...

SALES
To be honest, At First, it was hard for me to approach this show. For a newbie like me, Its hard to sell your stuff! You like it. Your sculptures are like your kids, you grew with them in a sense. You don't want to sell them. Obviously, this is an obstacle I need to work out, if I want to be in the crafts business!!!
Well after some hand wringing, eventually, something clicked, and I finally came around , remembering what the hell I was doing!

The approach I finally Refound this show was to make things FOR the festival, duh! That is to say, I created for the imaginary patrons of this festival. And Once I moved to this approach, everything flowed much easier. I opened up the flood gates so to speak, and created freely, letting that Eno river, in all of its primordial grace, flow through my minds eye, and what came out of me, hopefully collected a residual petina, from the silts of the ancient mountains collected in those waters...plus maybe a little earwax.



I still showed some of my older pieces, but just as displays, with no price tag. Some one told me that my booth was more like a sculpture exhibit, than a store front, and I think she was right about this, actually, I know she was! So it became sort of a site specific installation, Maybe you could say, along the banks of the river, ok, thats a stretch!



BUT, come time for the festival, I did have a booth laden with tire sculpture.
AND some of those imaginary Festival for the Eno Goers materialized in flesh and bone as:

Kerry, a very sweet woman from Hillsboro was my first customer. (Incidentally, she is also a customer of my mothers! From me whe bought a very nice split motorcycle knot planter with a Chatham red clay tread inlay (igpay atinlay?), a historic precurser to the upcoming Gem Line series. I hope you are enjoying it Kerry!

Tim- a very nice, very tall, fellow, bought a very graceful motorcrossknot for his garden. I happen to remember this tire knot's birth very well, it was gentle and easy all the way through, so supple was this tire; it practically folded and tied itself! Though I don't know Tim nearly as well as the tire, this somehow seemed to match his strong but easy personality. A good fit! Man, I love me a good fit! Doesn't it just look like the thing belongs in his hand? A second, successful delivery! This tire's going places..




Helga- took home a very nice motoknot with a very nice inlay of that good Chatham County orange/red dirt! Ooo, this one was a doozy to behold! And what a doozy Helga was to behold, herself. After she bought the piece, she turned out to be the mother of none other than of a favorite aquaintance of mine, Murial, the Lama Goddess, who runs the Chatham County Waste Program! Alright Helga, I guess we're about 1 for 1 in the world!



Dane let me pick him a piece! With Bennet as its bodyguard, I sent Dane home a great hulking wicked mototreadknot, that I would venture has something of the tire's dinosaur anscestry in it..beware Dane, and remember, DON'T FEED THE treadknot AFTER DARK! (we need to get a picture old buddy, before its to late!)
"Travis, what you're overlooking here is that extended photo shoots bring out
 MY dinosaur ancestry!"


Nice Lady, but I can't remember you name! (please email me, if you see this!) bought the 'Mexicalli Rose' tire planter. Though, it was a little dingy, this hot little pepper of a planter had some serious character, and I am so glad it found a home with someone who saw past the grime of its rough exterior.



Guy with black leather sandles, there was this guy who arrived at the booth, David?, who struck me as a very classy fellow. He had these black leather sandles, from Spain he said I think, jet black hair, mustache, goatee, and a black fidora. But inpite of all this, which might have stuck out in NC, he did not seem ostentatious in the slightest, just sort of stylish, well composed, and different.
If there was ever a time when my sales skills were put to the test at this festival, it was with David. Why? because I really WANTED this guy to have (and to wear!) a treadknot "chaCHING" poet's purse! I know a good  treadknot model, when I see one, and I knew it would just suite him so well.
Eventually, after considerable effort, I managed to convince him of this unmutable fact. And I hope, and am wiling to bet, that he is glad that I did. He later brought his children over to explore my tire artwork, so I must not have been too obnoxious. I think this is one of them?...Who's kid is this?


Best Buddy old pal, Emily got a treadknest, that I made especially for her! (her Man-friend agreed, that with it's lux purple-feather-boa trim, it was indeed tres Wexler).


Towards the end of the event, Herculean Festival Director Greg Bell stopped by to inquire about a certain piece. This was no ordinary piece; I actually had created this one especially for this festival, I had been imagining it for several YEARS! So I am extremely gratified that this piece appearently captured Greg's imagination. (I sort of think of it as a river serpent's/dragon's eye). If I needed any more reassurance that there is a good connection here, seeing Greg NAB that one has sealed the deal for me.

Incidentaly, the piece was made using a baby moon hub cap, that I scavenged from the side of the highway one evening, a couple weeks before the show, traveling back from Artist and Asolare Founder Jim Moon's Birthday party in Lexington, NC. (Thanks for the good Ju Ju Jim!)





Did I miss someone???
If I missed you, Please forgive me. It was three days spent swimming in a river of sweat, and social and business interactions, and really all I have to go by is my mailing list from the festival, and my camera to remind me of what all happened. But if I did miss you on this list, and you don't mind being included, please do leave a comment, or email me at traviscohn@yahoo.com, as I would love to honor you, and your new connection with the Reptire family. Thank you, and thank you all very much for your business. Welcome to the fam!


Commissions and potential collaborations
John:
John dreaming about his sculpture
John Reyes is a young bicyclist who is was pedalling from Texas all the way to Boston, and BACK!!!, Why? To celebrate and excersize the personal freedom that he values, as a way of thanking the service men and women around the world for their work protecting that freedom (paraphrased from John. To hear John talking about the project, in his own words go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RqZLKV8XQ4&feature=related. You can also check out his blog about his trip; just go (next door) to bostonandbackride.blogspot.com).

contemplating the possibilites
To commemorate his journey, he has asked me to make him a commemorative sculpture like the one shown here, using the very bicycle tires, chain and sprocket which 'carried' him on his journey across the US. They must feel like old friends this point!

John really seemed to like the piece, and the idea of fashioning his gear into one. I hope we can make it work for him.


You can check out the YouTube video he posted about his plans for the piece, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3YP5fdyMrM, or just enter 'Reptire' at the youtube prompt. Normally I would be hesitant about such exposure, but Mr. Reyes was very concientious about asking  my permission to post it (all ya gotta do is ask!), and was even thoughtful enough to send people to This blog in his video posting. I really appreciated this gesture.

As of this posting John just made it back to Texas!!! Once he gets settled back in, he says he'll pack his gear in a box, and send it on over to Reptire Design Studios, for its conversion into a new work of art. Congradulations John. I look forward to working with you on this.


 Hopefully his will be a glorious first, to kick off the up and coming Reptire 'Retirement' Program... details to be posted on the upcoming website...



Kurt is also commissioning an atomic tire sphere for a friend who supports his 'biking habit'. I have to say, that Kurt has been Very patient.

Sebastian is a hair 'sculptor', who with his partner run a Green Hair Salon! (they work with other colors of hair too). They are interested in commissioning some art, perhaps we thought, a hanging tire garden for their salon, a concept I have been working on lately. I am very excited about this possibility.

Melissa and Jennifer of Realm Design- Green Interior Designers....! Need I say more?

Buffy from Reciprocities and Revamp makes exquisite wearable art using feathers. I have a design I am working on that could incorporate Just the kind of work she does. So, towards the end of the festival, I gathered up my nuts in my throat and approached the gals down the isle at the Revamp tent. And I am happy to report that artist of a/the feather, Buffy, seemed open to the idea of a collaboration....  (to be continued)...

Also got to talk with both  Sandy Nononi-Smith and Leo Briere, at different time, of the Y.I.K.E.S Recyclique. We have talked in the past about partnering for a project, and I hope some day this comes true! It was good to catch up with each of them. Hopefully I'll get to spend some more time over there soon, as their workshop is really picking up steam. You can check them out at http://yikeslink.blogspot.com/2009/04/wanted-crafters-artists-designing.html


VISITORS
A big thanks to all of you who stopped by, give me a leg stretcher or just to say Hi.

b
Mama and Papa Bear in da Howse.

AWARD!
      Now I have to fess up to something. I am not often characterized as an ultra competitive person, by any stretch, most people consider me to be generally pretty peacefull and laid back actually. But when it comes to making art, well another person comes outta me. And I tell you, for some reason, for my first Festival for the Eno, I wanted a Best Booth Award! No good reason, I think I just knew I had it in me.

 So I slaved away, day after day, and into the nights, nearly getting messed up the day before set up. But I made it, and on the first day of the festival, this counsel of four wise people appears at my booth, looking around, nodding, scribbling on their clip boards, and then they dissapeared, quickly and mysteriously as they had arrived...


    Well, I am proud to report that Reptire Designs won itself a Best Emerging Artist Award! While I have to admit that it took me a while to get over the fact that it wasn't a Best Booth award, I have slowly, gradually come to realize the gift and honor that has been bestowed upon me, and this artwork. It's nice to know that all of my hard work on that booth paid off, and the fact that the festival judges saw value in the work seems encouraging for the future of Reptire art at the Festival for the Eno.

Furthermore, I was especially impressed that this award was very thoughtfully and STURDILY laminated by these outdoor festival Pros, making it something that should hold up well to the trials of the road, and which I can proudly hang in my booth for years to come. Like the gift of a well made knife, this is really something to be proud of, and treasured out there on that weathered road, all the more so, as it comes from people who clearly know what they are doing! Thanks guys.


But, I would be remiss If I did not pay thanks to the many hands that helped me get though this thing.

Jennifer Sugg, for picking some flowers to brighten up my booth.

Carry Fields for helping me pack up, a misty morning bday present, and for life giving hugs.


Stacye Leanza for an all important pin, reading "Be nice to me, it's my birthday!" God knows what would have happened with out that!, and who also watched my booth for me for a good while, and rearranged my sculptures for me.


Trent, for some good thoughts on merchandizing.


My Momma, Edie Cohn, who challenged me to stick with this thing, helped me make some very handsome placards for my booth, and was just an awesome source of support all the way through.


Maria Stawsky, who lent me the use of her beautiful photograph of mating Anoles.


Tori Mazure for the use of her beautiful photograph of a box turtle on the blueridge parkway.


Jill Truffant and Squiggs, Josh Zaslow, Bennet Finkler, Dane Summers, and Dane's folks, for just being great company.


Vito Di Bona and Lanya Shapiro, for the quenching popsicle.


Ruben 'Cohnzales', for buffing a treadknot. 


Carol Mitchell for lending me her experienced eye


Ana Howard, who shared with me her stainless steel keen perspective, and communed with me about what is art, and what was I doing here at the Festival for the Eno.


Carol Anderson, for taking an interest, 


Greg Bell, for being awesome to work with.

And all of the rest of you, who took an interest, gave me a smile, and helped see me along my way.



Wrapping Up,
So late Sunday evening, I finally got it all packed up, and after bidding my nomadic neighbors happy trails, went down to take a ceremonial dip in the river, the dimming dusky light, before heading to my folk's house, just down the road, to get some shut eye...


For, No rest for the weary...
 Early the next morning, I jumped headfirst, straight into a week of teaching a double load of art camps at the ArtsCenter, and then another week of a normal load. (In rare forsight, l had done the prep for all of these months ahead of time, this is the real reason I was nervous about doing the festival). And then, when that was done, just when I was ready for a rest at long last, I got an email from our friends the giant puppeteers, saying they could use some help painting some sets, and they were willing to pay me...well shit, you don't pass up an invitation like that, from those guys. at least I didn't! So after a day or two of rest, I carried the momentum forward, and jumped into a week of that, and had a blast, turning out some sets that I am really proud of! It was a Real pleasure and an Honor to get to work with those guys, and they were very appreciative. 

IN CONCLUSION 
Well I got a lot out of this festival. AND



 I did manage to have a good time (on and around my birthday, no less), which I wasn’t counting on, but of course, was hoping for (thanks for all of the sweet help with this!). Ken Crossen (right off a plane from India) took this picture of me on Sunday, and his artful snapshot seems like ‘proof in the pudding’ that all of that hard work paid off, and a good time was had… 







Thank you to all of you who helped to stretch a smile across my face.