Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Festival For The Eno 2013- Day 1 (Thursday, July 4th)

EMPTY BUCKETS
When I arrived on Thursday morning to set up the reminder of my booth
 at The Festival For The Eno's first Day (July 4th),
all of the buckets and buckets of rain that the Weather Gods seemed to have in store for us
seemed to be purged, and sitting, dripping upside down on their rims to dry. 
The sun, formerly fearful of being extinguished completely, 
had begun to creep wearily back out of hiding,
 peeking out through the curtains of parting clouds.
After about 6 straight days of punative rain and thunder storms, 
very fortunate indeed were we
 that these clouds had decided to part just in time to make way for the Festival For The Eno.
 It could almost be read as some kind of demonstrative warning. 
It was if to say, "Whine and complain about it being hot at a river festival? 
Well, lets see it from the other end then shall we?!"..

And indeed, when I approached the dam early that morning, to make my annual pilgrimage across it,
I found that these sloshing bucket clouds had left in their wake 
a River Eno swollen as I have never seen it in my years.



This did not stop me from crossing, and I was forced to use every ounce of my concentration
to inch, step by careful step, across it, 
as one misplaced toe on a slippery rather than mossy rock,
 and the rushing force of the water would have surely swept me and my belongings over. 
(Not good judgement in retrospect).

Anyways, this meant no swimming for Law Abiding Festival Goers, by decree of the Sherrifs who gaurded her edges.

And with the muddy ground, and visitors still both a bit in shock and weary, the foot traffic was indeed a bit slow, though certainly up from last year.

I busied myself getting the remaining stages of my booth in place.












However, as the day wore on, a good right many brave souls risked getting a little wet (it never Did rain, though I was always ready).



And by and by, the people started to trickle in.

yep, chicks dig it.
A lovely mysterious lady
became entranced
 with one of my plants..
This gal right here is Joanna, and I need to give Joanna her proper due.
You see, with her incisive wit, Joanna has cut right through all of the tire fat, and helped me to understand the very nature of my own material better...

 
Joanna, my new Marketing Director
You see, early in the day, Joanna stopped in to the Reptire Hut to have a look around. Quizing her about what she saw, as I often do, I asked her what material the planter before her was made of.
And do you know what she replied?....
"Its made out of tire leather" she said.
Tire Leather! Tire Leather!!! 
And she is so right.
My wares are made from tire no more than purses are made from 'cow'.
Rather, you would say cow leather, or cow skin, or cow hide.


This feller right is the King of Booch.
Kambucha Brew Maestro of Buchi booch, down from Asheville.
I was glad to see they had found their way down. I was right impressed by their 6 sided hand crafted test design at LEAF Festival a couple years ago. Very cool dude, and he shared a snapping turtle story of his, this still chills me to the bone to this day...

This cute couple was bowled over by this Cactus Tirarium.
Who can blame them?

Most Colorful Couple At Eno
 (by my own estimation,
and the competition was STEEP)
As always, I got to see a few dear  old friends the Festival For the Eno.


My old buddy Eric Erwin showed up in spades,
wearing a new shirt design of his.
As Jessica Simpson invoking Daisy Dukes said
"I donow what it is, but a wownit" 
Always a pleasure to see the good Galia Goodman!
]
And it was great to see Rebecca Connelly back on the scene!


I even got a little square dancing in again this year, to the blistering tunes of the Five Point Rounders.
They laid down the hay, and we had a good time.
Special thanks to caller Aaron Ratcliff who graciously accepted the torch from caller Anna Lena Phillips (who left us with her Beau for the coast). And Aaron took that torch and ran with it.
Also, a hardy thanks to dance partners Gizelle and Francesca (pictured here), and later Maria. 







"Whoa, what's that? Nobody ever told me about these!"

"These Neither!"

Peregrin establishes contact with the TireSphere

Papa Got a Brand New Belt!
Doing The Reptire Can-Can.
Blessed by good company.


Woman from Taiwan, totally digging some Reptire De

I tell you what, while I was having a good old time, I just wasn't selling much!
Nobody was! And with just two days this year to make up our regular booth fee, we were all getting a little worried about loosing our shirts!
So I was especially gladdened and grateful when this sweet lady, Mrs. Wrenn, came by and purchased this Dragonz Eye, as a gift for her husband.




And finally at the end of my day, I had one more blessing yet,
 a suprise visit from the one and only Wayne,
Naturalist, Folk Artist, Storyteller, Animal Call Expert, and many other things, I am sure!
Wayne will forever be immortalized in my own mind at least
 for replying when I asked him
"What have you been up to Wayne?"
"Oh, just telling lies to the little children" :)

Walker and Lauren and I eagerly invited him to join us for a after the 'storm' rest, seated around a tire planter, on the floor of my tent, which, to my delight, he graciously accepted.
And some yarns he did graciously provide....



He began with a rollicking series of animal calls, each more poignant and eerie in their accuracy than the last...



Then, we moved on to other subjects, and Walker asked him about years spent as a soldier in the Viet Nam war. This was really fascinating to hear him talk about.


Such a unique pleasure, to sprawl out on a 'carpet' and be allowed to be a kid again, in the gentle hands of a master story teller. In retrospect, this is a pleasure that I wonder if ever adult kid doesn't need and deserve some time. It sure was some how nourishing to me that day. It somehow allowed me to transition to the next stage of my day.

After Walker and Loren had said Goodbye, I made a gift to Wayne of one my most lizardy coin purses.
He accepted it, and offered me quite a lot of good advice about marketing my wears.
Where this wise dude got all of expertise, I don't know.
I suspect, as he would tell it, just showing up
and paying attention.