Welcome

Ahoy Matey, and Welcome to REPTIRE, an intermittent ‘ship’s blog’, chronicling the slow rise in the South Easterly skies of Reptire Designs; a studio that designs and crafts always artful, and sometimes useful THINGAMABOBS from old Indian Cucachou, aka ReTired Rubber.

Down Below, Ye shall find a permanent 'flagship post' marking the Maiden Voyage of Reptire Designs.

And below that, in the ‘hull’, can be found more recent posts chronicling the daring new adventures of Reptire Designs, dashed with small bits of whimsy, spotted pickerel, local color, and lizard lore..

In fact, on the right, in pale purple, ye shall find the Captain's Log’s Table of Previous Posts, which ye can peruse by year, month, and title to ye hearts content.

If ye haven't gotchyer sea legs yet, My Pretty, Ye can take a gander at our website at www.reptiredesigns.com, to get a proper Landlubber's Introduction.

Thanks for stopping in, I do hope you enjoy your visit aboard this ship! HARHARHARHAR.......

Sincerely, Travius Von Cohnifus

Captain, Founder, Indentured Servant, Rubber Alligator Wrestlor Extraordinaire a' this here ship.

enter the treadknot

Welcome
On September 26th, 2006, I launched my tire art/design business, Reptire Designs, with a solo exhibition of my artwork in The Green Gallery at The Scrap Exchange Center for Creative Reuse, in Durham, NC. For many reasons, it was a night that I will always remember, and I am grateful to Laxmi (my girlfriend at the time) and Edie (my mother, still) for dutifully documenting while I shmoozed, so that I may now shmare a taste of the evening with anyone who was not able to attend...



On a cool but lively autumn night-before-Center Fest, a stream of friends and curious strangers trickled (like pebbles through a rain stick) through the forest of odds and ends (that roost at night in The Scrap Exchange), out into the warm light of the back savanna, a scene utterly glopped with bizarre rubbery hybrids. Tentative and curious, the visitors craned their necks, nibbled, pecked, stood back, moved in closer. From the walls, glassy mirror eyes gazed back through black unblinking eyelids, while beneath the visitor's feet, in a steamy drainage cistern, a mortal drama unfolded. Primordial forms, with no eyes at all, sat puckered on stoops. A cascade of glittering steal droplets formed a curtain, to which clung a colony of tiny tire knotlettes.

Vito D., a long-time collabator down from the Asheville area, caressed the warming air with his Strange Little Folk music. I bobbed and I flit, and at an increasing clip-someone must have opened the faucet a bit....for soon I was swooning, I just about lost it! As the evening progressed, to my delight and amazement, 'family' from Durham, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro, Hillsboro, Siler City, Asheville, and Fresno all made it! From the Cohn Clan to the Steudel Clan to the CFS Clan; from the WWC Clan to the Duke Ac Pub Clan to the SAF Clan; from the Bike Shop Clan to the Ninth St. Clan to the Scrap Clan... and every one in between, guys, they were all appearing before my stunned, blinking eyes. While I spun and I splayed, Vito now played-CHURNED- up a torrent of gritty ditties; while a staff volunteer (Brandon's a photographer, I swear) whipped up pitchers of Mango Lassies. And The 'Scrap Exchange girls' worked the door, the counter, and the floor, going "cha-CHING!", cha-CHING!","cha-CHING!".!.



By the end of the night, hundreds of friends, acquaintances and had-been-strangers had poured in, poured over the work, and partaken in, what was for me and my art, a monumental communal feast. And on top of it all, I got to place many of my preemies in hands that I love and trust, and in several instances, hands that fit them like gloves. What a privilage to be able to connect with people this way. Heading into the turbid seas of small business, I can confidently say that if I drown tomorrow, I am at least blessed today with the memory of (as Vito later put it) one authentically good Durham night.



Thanks to all of you who were there; in body and/or spirit.





Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange

Reclaimed-wood Builder and Reptire Collector Howard Staab enjoying magwi knot at the Scrap Exchange
I can't think of anything more rewarding for an artist than to see someone interacting with their artwork. Photo by Laxmi Haynes

Sammy and Dannette contemplate

Sammy and Dannette contemplate
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Cascade Colony of Knotlets

Cascade Colony of Knotlets
They would go with your jacket, would they not Claire?

Laxmi Resplendent

Laxmi Resplendent

Mavis In The Mist

Mavis In The Mist
Photograph by Laxmi Haynes

Tire Amazement

Tire Amazement
Photograph by Edie Cohn

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Setting Up Booth for Eno 2013

So come Wednesday, July 3rd (incedentaly my Bday), but also, more pertinently, my Dday, the day to set up my booth for the big Festival For The Eno, the next day on the Forth, it was raining.

No, it was pouring. And the old man in the sky? Well he was ROARING.
Long has it been since I have witnessed the skies open up with such vehemence.
What gives big G? Who might have pissed in your corn flakes, I wonder, to invoke this breed of wrath?

Now I will not say that I was not actually enjoying this thunderous storm, on some levels, because I sure was. It cooled everything down to an unprecedented cool, that I just have never known in conjuntion with this festival. This made my work at that moment considerably more pleasent.

However, I had to wonder what effect all of this weather was going to have on the festival, and was already having on my good friends already dealing with these issues on the festival grounds....

Now that I had it, was it even worth loading up Diane's van, and driving all the way to Durham

I made a quick call in to see what the out look was.
"Moving right ahead" was the answer, "come on down".

Well OK!....Charging Forth it is!
I made a big fat memo note, and posted it in the front of my frontal lobe, that read something like, "Travis, you are just a small piece of this very large puzzle. And right now, the good people who are putting it together are probably dealing with some pretty hectic adjustments. So go with the flow on this one, Dude, just go with this flow, OK?"
And that was my mantra through out, and I think it served us all well.

So I loaded up the van, and headed out.
I built and bought myself some crates, tubs and boxes,
which made for a much more solid base layer of my van packing.
This was a satisfying improvement over years past.



As I reached Highway 64, on my way out of town in this crazy downpour, out of the corner of my eye, I saw an unmistakable black heap, laying motionless at the edge of the busy 5 lane highway.
A big hulking snapping turtle, a casualty, slain by the cross town traffic fire.
I drove over to the gas station, parked, hopped out, and watching for cars, drug her out of the road and onto the grass. Her carapace (top shell) was cracked in two places, it looked like she had been squarely, and maybe purposefully run over by a four wheeler, but her limbs were all intact, as sad, and droopy, and lifeless as they were.



She had most probably been making her way from a wetland behind the hotel, to an old farm pond that lies behind what it now the Burger King. I've found dead snappers out there before in the heat of the summer.
But this find, as disturbing as this may sound to you, was a different special circumstance.
For, due to the icy cold storm water she had been laying in, that had been washing over her, seemed to be a cool, clean, fresh kill.
I questioned myself.
Of all the many many details that I still must attend to, compounded by chaos that this weather will wreak on the very foundations of the festival, do I really have any room at all, on the top of my proverbial pile, to load a hulking snapping turtle? I looked at the van, stuffed to the gils with tire art.
No, I did not.
I looked back at this pitiful creature, of ancient dinosaurian grace, laying slain in the grass.
Did I really have the heart to just leave her there either?
With a deep sigh, I realized that no, I didn't either.
And so, grabbing a spare black garbage bag, I sifted her into it, and hoisted all 15 lbs of her onto the floor of the van.
Here we go!...Off to Durham.

I had to do a few errands on the way into town.
I picked up a few armloads of fated discounted plants at Lowes, with the storm threatening to rip the tin roof off.




And out near Lystra Road, where Janice and I have a few landscaping clients, I came across yet another turtle, this one a yellow bellied slider, or a cooter, and ALIVE.

"Get in the van" I said, nestling this poor gal against the immobile lump in the black plastic garbage bag. Surely, she thought, this is the end.

But I took her in the direction she was heading, finding a big wooded area behind the shopping complex she was attempting to cross.



When I finally got to Durham, it was already getting dark.
I dropped by folks place, and discreetely slipped this hulking mass into the freezer.
I could explain later...
Off I went to the West Point On The Eno, to set up what little I could in the rain.

When I arrived, I found that my beloved booth spot, while itself relatively dry, was now standing as kind of an island in a swamp that had overtaken the lowest reaches of the park, that connect it to the beautiful, river, which was now raging at its banks.

Greg graciously offered to let me stay if I wanted, or to accomodate me if I wanted to find a new spot.
And so I went off searching in the dwindling light, like a lost tribe of Isreal, for my escape from the floods, a new promised land?

I was about ready to stick it out in the swamp down below, when I spied a spot across the mill race, that looked to be unused. While not yet an official space, it was a tent sized room, hidden beneath the canopy of an old tree, quite like my ussual spot.

The difference was, the fingers of the these limbs almost drooped down to touch the ground, creating sort of a fortress around this space.

So my question to Cheif Greg was, a) can I use this space, and b) if so, can I do a little pruning to shape it up. After some discussion, the word came back- a resounding yes, you may, and you can even borrow some pruners! It seemed that Greg, Bless him, was also very much going with the flow, which I can only imagine he has learned as a natural survival skill in many years directing the festival.

And so I wend to work, setting up the skeleton of booth in the dark of a torrential downpour, up to my ankles in muddy mess, wearing nothing but my swim suit! When I finally had that up, I got the pruners, and went to work carving out a space under the tree, as well as for my neighbors to be, NC WARN.
When it was all done, as far as I could tell in the dark, darned if it didn't look like home.

However, I have got to say, that as hard as I WAS working, the folks putting on the Festival were working MUCH MUCH HARDER!

They had been living, breathing, sleeping, probably eating mud for the last week, at least, attending to the thousands of details involved with bringing thousands of people, and electrical equipment, and on and on and on, together in the unpredictable outdoors.

My hat is really really off to these troopers that make this thing happen every year.